Monday, May 24, 2010

"You May Have Missed" Mondays

It's Monday again, and time for another post on books you may have missed.

I was thinking about my childhood and books I read when I was young. I'd like to share a few with you today.

Encyclopedia Brown, Boy DetectiveI remember one of the things I loved to read was Encyclopedia Brown. He was so amazing to me because he could solve any mystery that came his way. I enjoyed trying to figure out the case before he did (sometimes I succeeded). I think I secretly wanted to be a detective when I grew up. And I also liked the fact that he could go anywhere he wanted and do anything he wanted. His parents seemed to me to be so cool. After all, his dad was the police chief. How cool is that?




Ramona the PestMy mother used to take my sister and me to the library every Saturday. I could pick out ten books to take home (Ten? Oh, really, Mom, you know I can read more than ten in one week!). One of the first places I would go was to the section of Beverly Cleary books. I could really identify with Ramona, the Pest (if my sister is reading this, I'm sure she would agree). And Henry and Beezus or Henry and Ribsy were also quite good reads.   




"B" Is for BetsyAnother children's author that comes to mind that I enjoyed was Carolyn Haywood. There was Eddie, Betsy, Annie Pat, Penny and Peter, and of course, Taffy and Melissa Molasses. (I just love saying that: "Taffy and Melissa Molasses." Rolls right off the tongue.) Mrs. Haywood's books were full of clean, happy fun. And I could read them over and over (which I probably did, since I could check out only ten every week!).  

 


Well, I could mention many more, but I'll save those for another time. If you have a young reader in your life, I would suggest you introduce them to these quality books. They will love them!

To find more suggestions for great summer reading, take a look at Semicolon's blog. She has given us lots of ideas for what to read while the heat is on!

What about you? What did you like to read as a child? What books would you recommend to a young reader that have been published prior to 2009? Let us know in the comments.



1 comment:

Sherry said...

Yes, love, I'm reading, and thanks for the link.

You were never a pest --except when you could hit harder than I could :)